If self care isn’t a priority in your life, it is time you make it one.
Like the name suggests, self care is caring for yourself. Self care is taking moments out of your day and dedicating them to yourself. Self care is doing something for yourself that is nurturing and brings you a sense of calm and relaxation.
Self care helps to improve levels of stress, boost self confidence and self love.
A few reasons to love self care are:
- Self care can lead to better sleep
- Taking care of yourself will lead to developing healthier habits
- Self care can help improve your relationship with yourself and others
Here are some things you should know about self care:
- Self care should NEVER feel stressful. If going to get your nails done or practicing yoga feels stressful, it is not self care. If you want to get into a meditation or yoga practice, it can take time before it becomes relaxing. So while you are working on creating a relaxing meditation and yoga practice, you might want to incorporate another relaxing self care practice for the meantime.
- Self care does not need to be costly. Things like yoga, meditation and walking in nature are 100% free!
- Self care should be practiced often. Self care is not getting a facial once every 3 months and not giving any time to yourself in between. I love to practice self care daily in many different forms.
- Self care can take up as little as 2 minutes or an hour of your day.
- Self care should leave you feeling at peace.
- Self care is unique to you. What works for one might not work for another.
My recommendation is to try all different forms of self care. Try as many as possible to find what works for you.
My favorite forms of self care are:
- Walking/hiking in nature
- Creating my favorite meal
- Watching my favorite movie
- Listening to a podcast
- Tending to my house plants
- Drinking a warm drink (like warm lemon water)
- At home facial or mani/pedi
- Get crafty
- Have quiet time
- Listening to music
- Breath work
In order to take care of others, it is important to take care of yourself first. You cannot give from an empty cup. You must fill up your cup first before you can give to others!
How do you practice self care?!